Welcome to JGO Comp 2008
This is a 3.5-day (84 hour) game competition, nestled halfway between 48 hours and one week. This means that submissions will be simple, but not too simple. All games must be written in Java and follow all rules for entry listed below.
The contest is intended to be enjoyed by members of JavaGaming.org, but is open to absolutely anyone who follows the rules. It is created by Eli Delventhal and hosted by Over-The-Counter Software. If all goes well, the contest will occur annually in August every year.
- All submissions must be written in the Java programming language.
- All code will hopefully be original, but you can use any libraries you like - just note, as usual, which ones you've implemented.
- Each submission must somehow incorporate one specified theme and sprite sheet, both to be disclosed upon the contest start date.
- Submissions cannot be worked on until the start date of Friday, August 22, at 5:00 PM GMT, and must be submitted by the end date of Tuesday, August 26, at 5:00 AM GMT.
- The contest is open to anyone regardless of levels of experience, but must be completed solo.
- All games must be submitted to the Java Game Tome as part of the submission process.
- There is no prize other than fame and personal satisfaction. The contest is meant to stimulate the community and to enrich your own game development experience.
- There are three total awards given: Best Overall Game, Best Use of the Theme, Best Use of the Sprite Sheet. After the contest is over, the JGO community will vote for the winners.